Image Map

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Letterboxing: Bates Cemetery

I went on my second letterboxing excursion Sunday evening after I took Gavin home.  It was located in the Bates Hill Cemetery out by Aloca.  

The letterbox was placed in memory of the planter's friend Justin...the following was taken from the letterbox description "During my senior year of high school my friend Justin was killed in a car vs. deer wreck. He was an amazing person and artist. His life ended too soon. He joined his younger brother in heaven who was also taken in a car accident. The tombstones are beautifully done if you'd like to stroll by and tell Justin hi. This spot overlooks railroad tracks. At Justin's funeral the Dr. Seuss book, "Oh, the Places You'll Go!" was read. Looking over those tracks I can only wonder where Justin would be now. I know he would have gone far in life."
It was a simple one to find, just getting it proved a bit tricky for this fraidy-cat girl!  LOL!!  It was in a hole in a tree.  A deep hole.  A deep, dark hole.  And from reading about people's experiences with tree holes from geocaching, I knew I wasn't just going to stick my arm in that tree!  

I peered into the whole as best as I could, but I couldn't really see anything.  I went back to the car and got my camera.  I tried a couple pictures and finally got something in the picture.  But I still wasn't convinced about sticking my arm in there.  I found a little stick to see if I could scoop it out.  Nope, that didn't work.  I went back to the car and got Shawn's car keys.  He had a little, not very bright, flashlight on his key chain.  I shined it into the hole as best as I could and didn't see anything other than the letterbox.  I figured if nothing came out of the hole with all that activity, I would be safe.  Here goes nothing.  I stuck my arm in the tree and had to go deep to get that letterbox out.  Thankfully nothing else was in there other than the letterbox!!

Inside the letter box was the stamp and another hitchhiker called "Pucker Up"!  Score!





 


No comments: