Image Map

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Holiday World was a bust!

The super fun aunt/nephew day I had planned for Monday turned into a total bust!  We made it to Holiday World, but the activities leading up and including Holiday World left alot to be desired. 

The day started off rocky when I woke up late.  Generally I'm up around 7 or so, but on this particular morning I didn't wake up until 9:30.  So it was one of those 'oh my gosh, jump up out of bed, and run around like a chicken with its head cut-off' kind of mornings.  I got myself ready, got Gavin ready, and got our bags packed and headed out the door by around 10:15.  I got in the car and realized I needed to get gas so we had to make that little pit stop.  I also had to drive into Evansville and get my first of three injections still before we could even head to Holiday World.  Luckily no one else was in the doctor's office, so I got the injection without really having to wait very long.  And at this point, I now realize that the a/c in the car isn't working properly again either.

Ok, we are now on the interstate headed to Holiday World.  Let the fun begin!  When I planned the day, there was no chance of rain and the temps were going to be in the low 80's.  When I checked the weather before we left, there was a 40% chance of rain and possible thunderstorms.  I guess I really wasn't concerned about the weather cause they have been predicting incorrect weather for the last two weeks it seemed.  The clouds in the sky were darker than normal but there still wasn't any rain....until we hit the Dale exit and it started POURING.DOWN.RAIN.  Ugh!  It was around noon so I told Gavin we would pull into Wendy's and eat lunch and see if it stopped raining. 
 
 
After we were finished eating, it had stopped raining so we headed out the door to the car.  As soon as we stepped outside of Wendy's, I slipped on the wet concrete ramp and fell down.  What the heck just happened?  I sat there on the ground trying to put my shoe back on, gather all my stuff, all the while Gavin is saying "Stace, what are you doing?" and another lady is saying "mam, are you alright, did you hurt yourself", and I'm thinking to myself "could this day get any worse?"  I get up, gather my stuff, get Gavin and put us all in the car, and I start tearing up in the front seat.  Surely those hormones they just injected into me a little over an hour ago aren't already working, are they?!?!

I collect myself and off we go to Holiday World.  I'm driving down the road and realize that I think I have missed my turn so I go down to the next road and turn around and head back up the highway.  Only then I think, well maybe I should of went down farther on the highway, and turn around again.  At this point, I have no idea where I'm supposed to turn and pull over on the side of the road to look at the GPS on my phone.  Gavin says to me "Stace, why do you keep turning around?"  It's cause I don't normally go to Holiday World off the interstate, I'm usually coming from Rockport. 

Once I realize I'm headed in the right direction, I pull back onto the highway.  I take the exit to Holiday World and am excited that I can see the Holiday World water tower in the distance.  I also can see some smoke on the left hand side of the road and wonder what's on fire.  As I'm getting closer, I notice that cars are stopped and some are pulled over on the side of the road.  Through the smoke, I can faintly see something in the ditch and then realize that the transformer of a down utility pole is exploding before my eyes.  Oh my gosh!  I'm thinking should I call 911?  But there is a man on his phone and other people so I'm sure all of them have called.  So I thought we would just go on, only then I realize that they power lines are down across the road.  Are you kidding me?  I just figured out how to get to Holiday World, if I have to detour now I don't know how to get there.  We are stopped on the road in front of the Santa Claus cabins and I see that there is a little road behind me that goes through their campground and out at the other end of where the wreck is, so I turn the car around in the road and take the little detour road.  I did manage to snap this picture real fast without getting in the way and stalling any traffic around me.
 
 
Finally, we are back out on the road to Holiday World.  We pull into the parking lot and it's not crowded at all.  I find us a fairly close spot, park, get out, gather our stuff and off Gavin and I go to have fun at Holiday World.  When we first got into the park I asked him if he wanted to ride rides or go to the water park first.  He chose the water park.  Fine with me, I'm hot and ready to hit the water.  I knew that once we were down there, the only thing he would be interested in was the wading pool water in the Safari Sam's Splashland the spray park section.  We found the restrooms nearest that, changed and headed for some water park fun.  I found us a couple chairs, put our stuff down and into the water we went.  He played for a little bit and I convinced him to go down the slide once. 
 



 
Then it started to sprinkle.  Not alot though so that was good.  Then he wanted to go down the slide again and this time I was going to go down it with him.  It was the blue side by side slide.  We walked up the ramp and before I could get there, he was going up to the slide and slipped and did the splits and fell and was crying.  I thought, oh great, please don't let him be hurt.  So I got him off there; he didn't hurt himself thankfully, but he was done with the slides at that point.  Well shortly after this it started raining harder and the storm sirens started going off.  At this point, they were making everyone get out of the pools and off the rides. 
 
I decided it was time for us to change back into our street clothes and head up into the park area and maybe we could ride some rides, and then at least be somewhat closer to the car should the weather turn really bad.  We got into the family restroom to change and while we were in there, I could hear it pouring down raining and thundering.  I thought oh I hope Gavin doesn't start freaking out on me, cause he's scared of storms.  We finally got changed and opened the door to leave and it was like a monsoon out there.  I shut the door back and locked and told Gavin we weren't leaving anytime soon.  It was a LONG HAUL to get to the car and I would of preferred not to do it in the rain.  I tried to pull up the radar on my phone, but couldn't get a good signal, so I called Shawn and had him pull it up.  He said the weather wasn't looking any better and that we might want to go ahead and go home.  Great.  So I open the door again and it's still pouring down raining.  Ugh!  I feel like we are going to be trapped in this bathroom forever!  Obviously I know it's not going to stop raining completely so I just tell Gavin we are gonna have to go and we are gonna get wet.  The rain did let up some, but it was still raining on us.  And the walk to the car was practically all up hill too. Aunt Stace was pooped once we finally got to the car.  We were both soaking wet and my entire right leg was aching. 

It stormed on us almost the entire ride home until we got up by I & M in Rockport and the sun was shining and it hadn't rained a drop.  When we pulled up at Beth's, she asked why we were home so early and I explained all of the above to her.

So it was a wasted vacation day and two wasted Holiday World tickets.  I've got two more for the fall visit and if there is even a slight remote chance for rain, you can forget it, I'm not going!
 

No comments: